28 abril | La Luz Oscura de la Fe

Rafael Álvarez, El Brujo, vuelve al Teatro Principal de Puerto Real el próximo sábado 28 de abril a las 21h con un nuevo montaje titulado La Luz Oscura de la Fe. Puedes comprar tus entradas en tickentradas.com o en la taquilla del Teatro.

brujo

Una nueva oportunidad de disfrutar de la obra de este gran dramaturgo y actor, habitual desde hace años de los escenarios de nuestra ciudad. La obra que nos presenta El Brujo repasa la obra y el pensamiento de uno de los grandes místicos españoles, San Juan de La Cruz, y lo hace desde la reflexión, la profundidad y el sentido del humor que sólo El Brujo es capaz de desplegar.

La_luz_oscura_de_la_fe_(2)

Dice el psicólogo Carl J. Jung que el lenguaje simbólico forma parte de la naturaleza psíquica de los seres humanos. Es algo que va con nuestra constitución integral, como el ADN. 

Desde los más primitivos ancestros nos expresamos por medio de símbolos, entendemos los símbolos -aunque a veces sea sólo de manera inconsciente- y lo que es más importante, creamos símbolos en nuestra mente, como algo natural, así como nuestro organismo genera sustancias que nos ayudan a vivir y a digerir la vida. Esa es la función real de la poesía y de los sueños: no sólo expresar sino “crear” también la vida. Todos tenemos sueños. Puedes ser un pastor analfabeto o un eximio catedrático, da igual. 

Los hombres, las mujeres, los niños, la naturaleza toda y el mundo entero sueñan sus sueños. 

De acuerdo que si posees el Conocimiento puedes entender mejor tus sueños. Pero el conocimiento no es siempre la sabiduría.  

Producto de una extraña y misteriosa sabiduría es el sueño que es símbolo, creación autónoma del espíritu, del pastor o del letrado, qué más da, el espíritu en todo hombre es “artista” y es salvaje: quiero decir libre… 

San Juan de la Cruz es la combinación armoniosa de una cultura exquisita, refinada sensibilidad y el espíritu libre de un “Pastor” que se abre paso en el mundo como un rayo de luz entre tinieblas.

He visto a San Juan como un patio donde los ángeles labran sus sueños jugando con JUANITO que es un niño. El niño cae en un pozo y contempla en la oscuridad la pequeña burbuja de su ser flotando en Dios que es la Madre. Eso es lo que yo he visto. Mi sueño. 

Los que hacemos teatro y tenemos que vivir del teatro debemos dirigirnos al centro del espectador que es un niño (Pedrito, Juanito, Pablito), un lugar donde el Pastor y el imponente erudito, el ama de casa y el taxista pueden ser uno y lo mismo. 

En una palabra: Buscamos el consenso metafísico. ¡joder que gente somos y que poco se nos aprecia! 

Venga, juguemos ahora con S, Juan que es Juanito, un sufí del Islam, que con los persas y los árabes vino al occidente y por algún lado lo mamó S. Juan. 

Yoga de la India milenaria: amor, aliento, esencia, le han dicho muchas cosas… ¡qué más da! La danza cósmica del Poder Omnipresente se expresa en todas las lenguas.

¡Pues vamos a bailar! 

Oigo ya el violín del gran maestro Alejano. Vengan todos a gozar. Será la música el eterno verbo de un niño que es poeta: el divino S. Juan.

No se lo pierdan señores: 

¡Un fraile Carmelita! 

Pasen y vean amigos:
¡es un fraile que levita!
Vengan todos a gozar.

NOTA: Había allí dos que oyendo esto le dice el uno al otro: 

– ¡Y que siendo un pobre fraile descalzo tenga que pagar el 21% de IVA! Así nos va… no, ¡si es que las cabezas no están buenas! 

Rafael Álvarez

MODERN ARCHITECTURE ROUTE

Esta es un ruta por los principales hitos de la arquitectura y la ingeniería modernas en Puerto Real. Descubre los edificios de dos premios nacionales de arquitectura, la ingeniería industrial de vanguardia o las soluciones urbanísticas más innovadoras de su época.

1 HIGH VOLTAGE PYLONS

Designed by the Italian engineer Alberto Toscano, they were completed in 1960 and with more than 150 meters high, they are the tallest structures in the world in their kind and one of the most defining elements of the shared skyline between Cadiz and Puerto Real. Two hollow frustoconical masts draw a smooth curve from the top (6 meters in diameter) to the base (21 meters) crowned by a 70 meter crossbeam with a rhomboidal profile that supports the wiring of high voltage that goes from tower to tower. Each tower covers 19,000 square meters and contains 90,849 screws.

ANDALUSIAN CENTRE FOR MARINE STUDIES

One of the most emblematic of the University Campus of Puerto Real, the building, inaugurated in 1992 and the work of José María Montes Díaz de la Guardia, consists of three naves in the form of a propeller with three blades covered by a cannon cap, joined internally by a circular floor, as a vestibule, covered by a glass dome and a smaller dome resting on twelve pillars. At the dome there is a planetarium and a museum on nautical astronomy and navigation.

3 LOS TORUÑOS MUDFLAT AND LA ALGAIDA PINE FOREST METROPOLITAN PARK

This park connects Puerto Real and El Puerto de Santa María through a first order natural area where visitors can find excellent forests of stone pines, salt marshes and esteros, the remains of the first railway line of Andalusia and bird watching spots. It is also a perfect space for sports. The system of bridges, viewpoints and walkways of the park is the work of National Architecture Prize Winner, César Portela.

4 TELEFÓNICA BUILDING

This is a building designed by Julio Cano Lasso, the 1971 Architecture Gold Medal, and rationalist architect of the so-called School of Madrid, cradle of great masters of postwar Spanish architecture. This is a large building that stands out, as in other works of the same architect, for the handling of brick and the abstraction of the volume.

5 MARITIME FRONT

 

This a public space, designed by the National Urbanism Prize Winner José Seguí, which layout, capability for abstraction and scale, fit into the main public space, defining it, and in the landscape from the sea. This is an urban space of great architectural quality implanted in an isolated way whose modern character contrasts with that of the adjacent Artistic Historic Site, making it visible.

6 POST OFFICE BUILDING

This is a building designed by the 1973 National Architecture Prize Winner Alejandro de la Sota. It stands out for the clean lines and the inclusion of the technical and construction advances of the moment. It houses the Post Office and one large-area home per floor. Currently, Alejandro de la Sota is considered one of the masters of Spanish Architecture.

7 ENGINEER’S HOUSES

In the wake of the work of engineers Eduardo Torroja or Felix Candela, Joaquin Barquin and Baron, designs this set of five igloo houses designed by engineer Luffini that stand out for the simplicity of its design and the economy of means, and whose goal was to solve the problem of decent and also economic housing for the middle and working class.

RUTA DE LA ARQUITECTURA MODERNA

Esta es un ruta por los principales hitos de la arquitectura y la ingeniería modernas en Puerto Real. Descubre los edificios de dos premios nacionales de arquitectura, la ingeniería industrial de vanguardia o las soluciones urbanísticas más innovadoras de su época.

1 TORRES DE ALTA TENSIÓN DE MATAGORDA

Obra del ingeniero italiano Alberto Toscano fueron finalizadas en 1960 y, con más de 150 metros de altura, son las estructuras de este tipo más altas del mundo y uno de los elementos más definitorios del skyline compartido entre Cádiz y Puerto Real. Dos mástiles huecos de forma troncocónica que dibujan una suave curva desde la cúspide (de 6 metros de diámetro), hasta la base (de 21) y que están coronados por una cruceta de 70 metros de perfil romboidal que sostiene el cableado de alta tensión que va de torre a torre. Sus 19.000 metros cuadrados contienen 90.849 tornillos cada una.

2 CENTRO ANDALUZ SUPERIOR DE ESTUDIOS MARINOS

Uno de los más emblemáticos del Campus Universitario de Puerto Real, el edificio, inaugurado en 1992 y obra de José María Montes Díaz de la Guardia, consta de tres naves en forma de hélice de tres palas cubiertas por una montera de cañón, unidas interiormente por una planta circular, a modo de vestíbulo, cubierta por una cúpula de cristal y un cupulino que descansan sobre doce pilares, y en el que se encuentran un planetario y un museo sobre astronomía náutica y la navegación.

3 PARQUE METROPOLITANO MARISMA DE LOS TORUÑOS Y PINAR DE LA ALGAIDA 

Este parque conecta Puerto Real y la vecina localidad de El Puerto de Santa María a través de un área natural de primer orden en la que destacan excelentes bosques de pinos piñoneros, salinas y esteros, restos de la primera línea de ferrocarril de Andalucía o puntos de observación de aves. Es, además, un espacio perfecto para la práctica deportiva. El sistema de puentes, miradores y pasarelas del parque es obra del Premio Nacional de Arquitectura César Portela.

4 EDIFICIO TELEFÓNICA

Se trata de un edificio diseñado por Julio Cano Lasso, Medalla de Oro de Arquitectura en el año 1991, y arquitecto racionalista de la llamada Escuela de Madrid, cuna de grandes maestros de la arquitectura española de posguerra. Este es un edificio de gran tamaño que destaca, como en otras obras del mismo arquitecto, por el manejo del ladrillo y la abstracción del volumen.

5 CAM, PASEO MARÍTIMO Y CENTRO CULTURAL

Se trata de un espacio público, diseñado por el Premio Nacional de Urbanismo, José Seguí, cuya traza, capacidad de abstracción y escala, se encaja en la del espacio público principal, definiéndolo, y en el paisaje desde el mar. Se trata de un espacio de gran calidad arquitectónica implantado de forma aislada cuyo carácter moderno contrasta con el del Conjunto Histórico Artístico adyacente, visibilizándolo.

6 EDIFICIO DE CORREOS

Obra del arquitecto Alejandro de la Sota, Premio Nacional de Arquitectura en 1973. Resalta por la limpieza de líneas y la inclusión de los adelantos técnicos y constructivos del momento. Alberga el Servicio de Correos y viviendas de gran superficie por planta. En la actualidad Alejandro de la Sota  está considerado como uno de los maestros de la Arquitectura Española.

7 CASAS DEL INGENIERO

En la estela de la obra de los ingenieros Eduardo Torroja o Félix Candela, Joaquín Barquín y Barón, diseña este conjunto de cinco casas iglú ideadas por el ingeniero Luffini que destacan por la sencillez de su diseño y la economía de medios, y cuyo objetivo era el de resolver el problema de la vivienda digna y a la vez económica para la clase media y obrera.

 

PUERTO REAL AND THE SEA

The waters of the Bay of Cádiz, which bathe Puerto Real, have always been among the city’s main attractions. We invite you to a route to discover the seafront of Puerto Real, its history and its present, its natural wealth and its splendid views.

1 INTERPRETATION CENTRE

The Interpretation Centre is a museistic space designed to discover the history, the near past and the present of the city. A place to know the city’s way of life, the life of its citizens, their experiences, traditions and the city’s cultural heritage, and a perfect way to start any tourist route in Puerto Real.

reina_de_corazones_1452680736

2 LA CACHUCHA URBAN BEACH

La Cachucha is an urban beach known for the health benefits of its mud. The beach is a quiet space and ideal for the little ones that surprises with the amplitude of its tides.

DSC_0643b

3 FORTIFIED PIER

The pier was fortified by Cadiz born architect Torcuato Benjumeda in the late 18th century from a 16th century pre existing one. It was aimed to cover the needs of the city’s port from specially from 1717, when Casa de la Contratación was transferred to Cadiz. In addition, it provided the city with a space for first defense against possible maritime attacks.

IMG_20171106_223107_438

4 MARITIME FRONT

This a public space, designed by the National Urbanism Prize Winner José Seguí, which layout, capability for abstraction and scale, fit into the main public space, defining it, and in the landscape from the sea. This is an urban space of great architectural quality implanted in an isolated way whose modern character contrasts with that of the adjacent Artistic Historic Site, making it visible.

ruta

5 HORNO ROMANO DEL GALLINERO

The Romanization process, from the end of the 3rd century BCE to the end of the 1st century, implies the extensive occupation of the territory of Puerto Real and the proliferation of rustic settlements, workshops of production of ceramics whose products can be traced in several points of the empire. The Roman kiln of El Gallinero is a circular oven of Roman amphoras dating from the first quarter of the first century BCE. and whose production consists almost entirely of amphorae for salt fish.

RUTA PUERTO REAL Y EL MAR

Las aguas de la Bahía de Cádiz, que bañan Puerto Real, han sido siempre uno de sus mayores atractivos. Os invitamos a una ruta para descubrir el frente marítimo de Puerto Real, su historia y su presente, su riqueza natural y sus espléndidas vistas.

1 CENTRO DE INTERPRETACIÓN DE LA CULTURA DE PUERTO REAL

El Centro de Interpretación de la Cultura de Puerto Real es un espacio museístico diseñado para conocer la historia, el pasado más reciente y el presente de la ciudad, cómo son sus habitantes, sus vivencias, sus costumbres y su manera de ser. Una forma perfecta de iniciar la visita turística a Puerto Real.

reina_de_corazones_1452680736

2 PLAYA BALNEARIO DE LA CACHUCHA

La Cachucha es una playa urbana conocida por los efectos beneficiosos para la salud de sus fangos. La playa es un espacio tranquilo e ideal para los más pequeños que sorprende por la amplitud de sus mareas.

DSC_0643b

3 MUELLE FORTIFICADO | FORTIFIED PIER

A partir de un muelle preexistente del siglo XVI, el arquitecto Torcuato Benjumeda fue el encargado de su fortificación en el siglo XVIII para cubrir las necesidades del puerto de la ciudad como parte del sistema de aprovisionamiento de materiales de construcción y otras mercancías en el marco del traslado en 1717 de la Casa de Contratación a Cádiz. Además, podía servir como espacio de primera defensa frente a posibles ataques marítimos.

IMG_20171106_223107_438

4 CAM, PASEO MARÍTIMO Y CENTRO CULTURAL | MARITIME FRONT

Se trata de un espacio público, diseñado por el Premio Nacional de Urbanismo, José Seguí, cuya traza, capacidad de abstracción y escala, se encaja en la del espacio público principal, definiéndolo, y en el paisaje desde el mar. Se trata de un espacio de gran calidad arquitectónica implantado de forma aislada cuyo carácter moderno contrasta con el del Conjunto Histórico Artístico adyacente, visibilizándolo.

ruta

5 HORNO ROMANO DEL GALLINERO

El proceso de romanización, desde finales del siglo III a finales del I a.n.e., supone la ocupación extensiva del territorio de Puerto Real y la proliferación de asentamientos rústicos, talleres de producción de cerámica cuyos productos pueden ser rastreados en varios puntos del imperio. El del Gallinero es un horno circular de ánforas romanas datado dentro del primer cuarto del siglo I d.n.e. y cuya producción es casi totalmente de ánforas de salazón.

TORCUATO BENJUMEDA ROUTE

The route starts from the Cadiz born architect’s house, who designed and built to live in, next to the Old Market Hall, which is also his work. The footprint of Benjumeda can be seen in different buildings of the city, including two of its churches, or the Fortified Pier.


OLD MARKET HALL

 

The work of Torcuato Benjumeda, it is a Neoclassical building dating from the late 18th century and is the oldest in Andalusia still in use as a marketplace. The building retains its two façades, built in stone and topped by a cornice, with seven arches on Nueva Street and five on Soledad Street. It consists of a central nave and two vaulted side naves. The Old Market Hall is the commercial heart of the historic center of Puerto Real and it is possible to buy all kinds of fish, seafood, vegetables, meats and seasonal products.

PLAZA

2 ST. JOSEPH CHURCH

This declared of Cultural Interest building, work of Torcuato Benjumeda, began to be built in 1770 on the initiative of the Saint Joseph’s Guild of Carpenters which took charge of the construction expenses. It is a good example of Neoclassical religious architecture with diverse Baroque elements as the frontis, with its colonial taste,  and follows the model of church with three aisles, cruise dome and crypt under the presbytery. It is currently desacralized and houses the San José Cultural Centre.

3 ST. SEBASTIAN CHURCH

Probably the oldest standing building in the city, was consecrated in 1592 although there is no reliable evidence of the date of beginning of the works or the past of the building. It is,  in origin, a typical Renacentist temple that suffered, during the 18th and 19th centuries, diverse remodelations that confer the building a harmonic eclecticism and a rich and complementary vision to the fashion of each era. The Catholic Kings gave the temple the title of Prioral Church together with Granada and Las Palmas Cathedrals.

FORTIFIED PIER

 

The pier was fortified by Cadiz born architect Torcuato Benjumeda in the late 18th century from a 16th century pre existing one. It was aimed to cover the needs of the city’s port from specially from 1717, when Casa de la Contratación was transferred to Cadiz. In addition, it provided the city with a space for first defense against possible maritime attacks.

IMG_20171106_223107_438

 

RUTA DE TORCUATO BENJUMEDA

Torcuato José Benjumeda y Laguada nació en El Puerto de Santa María el 4 de enero de 1757 de madre de origen genovés y padre de origen malagueño, y discípulo de Torcuato Cayón, que era además su padrino.

La ruta parte de la casa que el arquitecto diseñó y edificó para vivir en ella, junto al Mercado de Abastos de Puerto Real, que también es obra suya. La huella de Benjumeda puede verse en diferentes edificios de la ciudad, incluidas dos de sus iglesias, o el Muelle Fortificado.


MERCADO DE ABASTOS | OLD MARKET HALL

Es un edificio Neoclásico de finales del s. XVIII, obra de Torcuato Benjumeda, y el más antiguo de Andalucía en uso como plaza de abastos de titularidad pública. El edificio conserva su dos fachadas, construidas en piedra con llagueado y rematadas por una cornisa, con siete arcos por la Calle Nueva y cinco por la Calle Soledad. Consta de una nave central y dos naves laterales abovedadas. El Mercado de Abastos es el corazón comercial del centro histórico de Puerto Real y en él se pueden adquirir todo tipo de pescados, mariscos, verduras, carnes y productos de temporada. 

PLAZA

2 IGLESIA DE SAN JOSÉ | ST. JOSEPH CHURCH

Este edificio declarado BIC, obra de Torcuato Benjumeda, se comenzó a construir en 1770 por iniciativa de la Hdad de San José del Gremio de los Carpinteros de Ribera, que financió su construcción. Se trata de una muestra de arquitectura religiosa neoclásica con elementos barrocos como el frontis, de marcado gusto indiano, y responde al tipo de iglesia con salón de tres naves, cúpula de crucero y cripta bajo el presbiterio. Actualmente desacralizada, acoge el Centro Cultural San José

IGLESIA PRIORAL DE SAN SEBASTIÁN

Probablemente el edificio en pie más antiguo de la ciudad, fue consagrada en 1592, aunque no se tiene constancia fehaciente de la fecha de inicio de las obras ni del pasado del edificio. Se trata, en origen, de un templo renacentista con diversas modificaciones a lo largo de los siglos XVIII y XIX que le dan al edificio un eclecticismo armónico y una visión rica y complementaria del sentir de cada época. Los Reyes Católicos le dieron el título de Iglesia Prioral, junto a las Catedrales de Granada y Las Palmas.

 

4 MUELLE FORTIFICADO

A partir de un muelle preexistente del siglo XVI, el arquitecto Torcuato Benjumeda fue el encargado de su fortificación en el siglo XVIII para cubrir las necesidades del puerto de la ciudad como parte del sistema de aprovisionamiento de materiales de construcción y otras mercancías en el marco del traslado en 1717 de la Casa de Contratación a Cádiz. Además, podía servir como espacio de primera defensa frente a posibles ataques marítimos.

IMG_20171106_223107_438

 

RUIZ FLORINDO AND WATER ROUTE

It is a route that, from the urban center of Puerto Real, follows the route of the 18th century aqueduct, the work of Antonio Ruiz Florindo, and enters the countryside of Puerto Real. The route, ideal for cycling, also connects with the beginning of the layout of the Dos Bahías Green Corridor, which links the Bay of Cádiz and the Bay of Algeciras through a network of livestock trails, called Parque de las Cañadas de Puerto Real.

CAJA DEL AGUA

The building dates from 1780, was designed by Antonio Ruiz Florindo and is located in the area traditionally known as La Laguna (The Lagoon), one of the entrances of the Villa. This area was the cradle of the most representative flamenco palo (style)  in the city, the liviana. It is part of the 18th century’s water supply works to Puerto Real, some years before than Cádiz or Málaga. The building is a vaulted cube with attic niches decorated with Triana tiles with the iconography of those who were, at the end of the 18th century, patron saints of Puerto Real: San Roque, San Sebastián and the Virgen del Rosario.

almacendeagua2small

2 EL PORVENIR GARDEN

This Romantic garden, included in the General Catalog of Gardens of Andalusia, was opened to the public in 1872 and remodeled in 1885. It is an enormously valuable space within the urban design of the city, not only because of its antiquity, but also because of the great variety of ornamental trees and shrubs it contains. As a part of the space visitors can see a 17th century inn, the Posada de Bello, remodeled during the 20th century.

AUTRAN’S MILL AND FORTIFIED HOUSE

Dated in 1760 and owned by the French naval constructor Ciprián Autrán, this house was occupied and fortified in 1810 by the French army during the War of Independence. The mill wheel attached to it, also of the 18th century, was used as a defensive watchtower.

DSC_0258

5 TORRES DE VENTILACIÓN 

They are part of the aqueduct that brought water to Puerto Real at the end of the 18th century, the work of Antonio Ruiz Florindo, and prior to modern water canalization systems in cities such as Málaga and Cádiz. Its route can be followed through the countryside of Puerto Real from the Fuente de la Higuera to the Caja del Agua, in the urban core of the city.

IMG_20170802_141748_839

 

RUTA DE RUIZ FLORINDO Y EL AGUA

Se trata de una ruta que, desde el centro urbano de Puerto Real, sigue el trazado del acueducto del siglo XVIII, obra de Antonio Ruiz Florindo, y se adentra en la campiña de Puerto Real. La ruta, perfecta para recorrerla en bicicleta, conecta, además, con en el inicio del trazado del Corredor Verde Dos Bahías, que une la Bahía de Cádiz y la Bahía de Algeciras atravesando la red de cañadas de Puerto Real.

CAJA DEL AGUA

El edificio, de 1780, es obra de Antonio Ruiz Florindo y se ubica en la zona tradicionalmente conocida como La Laguna, uno de los accesos de la Villa y cuna del palo flamenco más representativo de la ciudad, la liviana. Forma parte del sistema para la traída de aguas a Puerto Real, algunos años anterior a los de Cádiz o Málaga. Se trata de un cubo abovedado con hornacinas abuhardilladas decoradas con azulejos trianeros que representan a los santos patronos de Puerto Real a fines del siglo XVIII: San Roque, San Sebastián y la Virgen del Rosario.

almacendeagua2small

2 JARDINES DE EL PORVENIR 

Este jardín romántico, incluido como BIC en el Catálogo General de Jardines de Andalucía, fue abierto al público en 1872 y remodelado en 1885. Se trata de un espacio enormemente valioso dentro del entramado urbano de la ciudad, no sólo por su antigüedad, sino por la gran variedad de árboles y arbustos ornamentales que contiene. En el entorno se encuentra una antigua posada de viajeros del siglo XVII, la Posada de Bello, remodelada a finales del siglo XX.

4 NORIA Y CASA FORTIFICADA DE AUTRÁN 

Fechada en 1760 y propiedad del constructor naval de origen francés Ciprián Autrán, fue ocupada y fortificada en 1810 por el ejército francés durante la guerra de Independencia. La noria molino adosada a ella, también del siglo XVIII, fue utilizada como atalaya defensiva.

DSC_0258

 

5 TORRES DE VENTILACIÓN 

Forman parte del acueducto que trajo las aguas a Puerto Real a finales del siglo XVIII, obra de Antonio Ruiz Florindo, y anterior a los sistemas modernos de canalización de agua de ciudades como Málaga o Cádiz. Su trazado puede seguirse atravesando la campiña de Puerto Real desde la Fuente de la Higuera hasta la actual Caja del Agua en el centro urbano de la ciudad.

IMG_20170802_141748_839

 

FRENCH INVASION ROUTES

We propose three different routes to discover the French presence in Puerto Real during the convulsive years of the first quarter of the 19th century, but, let us put some context here.

During the 18th century Spain and France had forged a stable military alliance against a common enemy, the British Empire, for the commercial and economic control of Europe, but also to control the different colonial territories of each country. The penultimate episode of this alliance took place in 1805 in the famous Battle of Trafalgar in which the British Empire infringed a severe defeat to the fleets of both countries.

Despite this, Napoleon (Emperor since 1804), recovered in successive victories against the allies of the British in Austerlitz or Jena, so that from 1806 France imposed a commercial blockade to the British that, apart from French ports, reached other European ports, in particular the Portuguese ones.

In October 1807, France and Spain signed the Treaty of Fontainebleu, which lead to the joint French and Spanish invasion of Portugal. The Treaty, however, led to an effective invasion of the Iberian Peninsula by Napoleonic troops, and the successive abdications of Carlos IV in his son Fernando VII and his abdication in José Bonaparte, Napoleon’s brother.

The French invasion and the flight of Fernando VII unleashed a fierce popular revolt that mobilized the army against the French enemy and that initiated a war that took the government to refuge first in Seville and, since 1809, in Cádiz that suffered a brutal siege.

In this context, the French troops occupied the territory of Puerto Real on February 4, 1810, while the Spanish army commanded by the Duke of Alburquerque escaped to the neighbour Island of León (San Fernando), destroying bridges, granaries, warehouses, batteries and all defensive structures in order to slow down the French advance.

Puerto Real became, then, the limit between the defense and the attack of a guerrilla war that the French would end up losing three years later and that turned Puerto Real into the main quartermaster of the French army, which established camps in La Algaida and the Pinar de Enriles, nowadays Pinar de Los Franceses.

A few years later the city would again be the scene of the war when in 1823, again, the French troops took the Trocadero Peninsula and surrendered the city of Cádiz to free Fernando VII, the same King who had betrayed the population that fought and won for Napoleon’s troops and for freedom.

ROUTE 1. THE DUKE OF ALBURQUERQUE ROUTE

The route starts at the Interpretation Center of Culture of Puerto Real where the visitor can discover the history of the city, from its first settlers to the twentieth century, its traditions and culture. On the second floor of the building, the visitor will find detailed information about the French invasion and the effects it had on the city and its inhabitants.

CC2

From the Interpretation Center, we head towards the sea following the Calle Ancha to reach the Fortified Pier, where a French battery was settled to guard both the coast and the road towards the Isla de León, and which is the work of the Cadiz born architect Torcuato Benjumeda. This battery was complemented with the use that the French troops made of the Petit Torre, which they used as observation watchtower, or the battery that was located in the area of the Gallinero.

IMG_20171106_223107_438

From here, following the coast line to the east along the ring road, we head towards the entrance to the Natural Park. When we reach the last roundabout, we take the country road towards the Natural Park. At this point, we find the Casines Battery and the old Tide Mill of El Pilar. It was a naval and terrestrial guard post that protected the access road and in which a military detachment was located, in which, moreover, the troops were supplied with grain and food.

We continue the path parallel to the train track to the next milestone of our route, the Salina de La Esperanza, a fossilized salt landscape that served as a front in the guerrilla war against the French for it was not suitable for organized combat. The French carried out an extensive mapping work of the salt environment to avoid the surprise attacks of the Spanish guerrillas. Faced with the difficulties posed by the maritime environment, given that the boats of any size were sunk by the French canyons, the salinas and estuaries provided the population with food.

IMG_20171110_114727

The route continues parallel to the train track through a landscape that follows the itinerary followed by the Duke of Alburquerque’s troops in his retreat to the Island of León.

The next milestone of our journey is the Arsenal de La Carraca, currently in the municipality of San Fernando, but part of the naval facilities of Puerto Real during the 19th century. In those days, other than serving as a refuge for a large part of the population of Puerto Real, it played a prominent role in the defense of the Island of León and the city of Cádiz as it was fortified by batteries named San Fernando, San Ramón and Santa Rosa.

La Carraca was the base of the Navy and its main arsenal, and was defended by Spanish and British troops, despite the Spanish misgivings, who distrusted British soldiers, who they suspected were devoting their time to defense, but also to intelligence tasks.

From La Carraca we head back to the path parallel to the train track and, from there, we cross some streets of the urban area of ​​San Fernando towards the Suazo Bridge and our last stop on this route, the Real Carenero.

CARENERO

The scenario of the Real Carenero is of vital importance in the history of the siege of the Island of León by the French troops. In his flight, the Duke of Alburquerque destroyed steps and bridges, slowing the advance of the French troops of Marshal Victor and facing them in an area of marshes and salt pipes that offered him an advantage, so much so that the French troops tried to take the Island of León holding just their bayonets.

The defense was effective and finally, in the area of the battle, a battery was established, named El Portazgo, which was defended by about 150 armed men who resisted the stake and who, finally, were supported by British troops.

You can return to the center of Puerto Real following the same road, or if you wish, you can extend this route with the following route, the Ruta de La Frontera.