This route starts at Saint Joseph’s Church, now the San José Cultural Center, and goes through the main buildings and religious spaces of the city, paying special attention to Puerto Real’s sacred art treasures, such as the sculptures by Luisa Roldán, from the 17th century or the different pieces of colonial origin.


This declared of Cultural Interest building, work of Torcuato Benjumeda, began to be built in 1770 on the initiative of the Saint Joseph’s Guild of Carpenters which took charge of the construction expenses. It is a good example of Neoclassical religious architecture with diverse Baroque elements as the frontis, with its colonial taste,  and follows the model of church with three aisles, cruise dome and crypt under the presbytery. It is currently desacralized and houses the San José Cultural Centre.

Iglesia de San Josébis



Probably the oldest standing building in the city, was consecrated in 1592 although there is no reliable evidence of the date of beginning of the works or the past of the building. It is,  in origin, a typical Renacentist temple that suffered, during the 18th and 19th centuries, diverse remodelations that confer the building a harmonic eclecticism and a rich and complementary vision to the fashion of each era. The Catholic Kings gave the temple the title of Prioral Church together with Granada and Las Palmas Cathedrals.



This is one of the streets in the urban center of Puerto Real that better reflects the noble aspect it had during the 17th century. Visitors should not miss the magnificent buildings between La Plaza and Amargura streets. It is precisely there where the niche containing the cross that names the street lies. Note that the Green Cross was typically related to the Spanish Inquisition.




This is a temple founded in the 17th century by the Order of Saint Francis of Paola to locate the convent of the order. On its right flank stands a Baroque 18th century square tower and capital adorned with blue tiles. Its façade is decorated by a Classicist Baroque doorway. The the temple houses two images of great artistic value, the Virgen de la Soledad, carved in 1688 by Luisa Roldán, a Saint Francis of Paola, and a reclining Christ, attributed to the same sculptor.


Very close to the Roman kiln of El Gallinero we find this chapel that takes its name from the farm in which it was originally built. The chapel is the basis for the Hermandad del Rocío in Puerto Real and there is a carving at the own image of the Almonte (Huelva) Virgen del Rocío. The park where it stands occupies the space of a militar battery dating from the Napoleonic times.