The route starts from the Cadiz born architect’s house, who designed and built to live in, next to the Old Market Hall, which is also his work. The footprint of Benjumeda can be seen in different buildings of the city, including two of its churches, or the Fortified Pier.
1 OLD MARKET HALL
The work of Torcuato Benjumeda, it is a Neoclassical building dating from the late 18th century and is the oldest in Andalusia still in use as a marketplace. The building retains its two façades, built in stone and topped by a cornice, with seven arches on Nueva Street and five on Soledad Street. It consists of a central nave and two vaulted side naves. The Old Market Hall is the commercial heart of the historic center of Puerto Real and it is possible to buy all kinds of fish, seafood, vegetables, meats and seasonal products.
2 ST. JOSEPH CHURCH
This declared of Cultural Interest building, work of Torcuato Benjumeda, began to be built in 1770 on the initiative of the Saint Joseph’s Guild of Carpenters which took charge of the construction expenses. It is a good example of Neoclassical religious architecture with diverse Baroque elements as the frontis, with its colonial taste, and follows the model of church with three aisles, cruise dome and crypt under the presbytery. It is currently desacralized and houses the San José Cultural Centre.
3 ST. SEBASTIAN CHURCH
Probably the oldest standing building in the city, was consecrated in 1592 although there is no reliable evidence of the date of beginning of the works or the past of the building. It is, in origin, a typical Renacentist temple that suffered, during the 18th and 19th centuries, diverse remodelations that confer the building a harmonic eclecticism and a rich and complementary vision to the fashion of each era. The Catholic Kings gave the temple the title of Prioral Church together with Granada and Las Palmas Cathedrals.
4 FORTIFIED PIER
The pier was fortified by Cadiz born architect Torcuato Benjumeda in the late 18th century from a 16th century pre existing one. It was aimed to cover the needs of the city’s port from specially from 1717, when Casa de la Contratación was transferred to Cadiz. In addition, it provided the city with a space for first defense against possible maritime attacks.