Living History of Puerto Real
Located in the historical area of the Matagorda Factory, the El Dique Museum and the historical site of the Puerto Real Factory are the first Industrial Tourism destination in the province of Cadiz.
In operation until 1977, the Matagorda Shipyard was conceived and inaugurated in 1878 by Mr. Antonio López for the repair of the ships of the Transatlantic Company, also owned by López, which since 1861 had been transporting mail to the last Spanish colonies in America.
In the historical area we can visit the different facilities that were part of the complex: the machine and forge workshops, the neo-Romanesque chapel, the Hospital and the Orphan Asylum, and the Dry Dock.
Also in the historical area, we will find the remains of the Matagorda Castle, defense of the city of Cadiz in the War of Independence by a battery of cannons.
In addition, the tour is completed with a visit to the Dam Museum, built over the Pump Room. It reviews the history of shipbuilding in the historic factory of Matagorda, from the late nineteenth century to the present.
The museum shows an extensive representation of the work of the men on the dock, the elaboration, almost artisanal, of the ships of the time.
In its rooms we will be able to see examples of the tools that were used and the development of trades that have already disappeared, contemplate and learn from the history of stories of men and families and of the industry in contact with the sea.
It is the living history of the Bay of Cadiz, of the industrial advances that revolutionized the world, of its people, of progress. A story about shipbuilding, about Puerto Real.