CHAPEL OF EL ROCÍO
The Chapel of El Rocío, formerly known as the Chapel of El Carmen, was blessed on July 11, 1959.
It is a chapel erected on the María y José estate, owned at that time by José Luis Domínguez Gutiérrez and María Luisa Vega Sánchez.
Inside is preserved an image of the Virgen del Rocío, a reproduction of the patron saint of Almonte made by the Sevillian sculptor Fernando Aguado Hernández in 2011.
It also houses a crucifix from the old chapel of Cortijo de Guerra, which must have been made in the 1940s by a sculptor from the circle of Juan Luis Vassallo Parodi or Luis Ortega Bru.
The chapel is located in an area popularly known as “El Gallinero”, in the surroundings of which is located an important site from the Roman period (1st century A.D.), being visitable an amphora production furnace with a circular plant of 4.5 meters in diameter, put in value since 2011.
Also in this place was installed in 1823 the so-called Battery of Angoulême, a bastion from where the troops of the Hundred Thousand Sons of Saint Louis, commanded by the Duke of Angoulême, organized the definitive attack on the Cortadura pipe, next to the San Pedro River, in the famous Battle of the Trocadero.