It is currently the second oldest theater in Andalusia in use.
Its construction began in 1856 on the initiative of Antonio Matalobos, a businessman from El Puerto de Santa María, following the project of the Cadiz architect Manuel García del Álamo. It was inaugurated on April 24, 1859 with an initial capacity of 650 people.
Its name has changed over the years, being called “Teatro de Isabel II”, “Teatro del Príncipe Alfonso”, “Teatro Infanta Isabel” or “Teatro de la Libertad”. At present its name is “Teatro Principal”.
From its origin it was privately owned until the end of the 20th century when it became the property of the Puerto Real City Council, undergoing a major rehabilitation between 1989 and 1993.
Since then, it has been one of the main elements of Puerto Real’s culture. The building has largely preserved its original appearance, with a neoclassical exterior and a modernist interior. It is inspired by the Italian theater model of the 19th century, in which the foyer, the horseshoe-shaped hall and the stage are linked along a main axis where the halls, corridors and staircases are located.