POSADA DE LA LAGUNA
An old inn built in the eighteenth century at the northern end of the town, in an area known as “the lagoon”, where in the mid-nineteenth century the Porvenir gardens were built.
It was located in a strategic point, near the road that led travelers to the inland municipalities, following the roads and cattle trails to Jerez de la Frontera, Paterna de Rivera or Medina Sidonia, communication routes that also connected the town center with the many farms in the municipality.
It was thus a place frequented by travelers, traders and beasts, as a place of arrival or departure. Already in 1771 there is news of this inn, being at that time its owner Don Juan Esteban de Goyena.
It suffered severe damage during the Napoleonic occupation between 1810 and 1812, as detailed “…Casa Mesón de la Laguna, which is missing all the balconies, railings, doors, floors and beams of all the interior rooms…”, which led to major reforms in subsequent years to recover its normal functionality.
The arrival of the railroad to the town in the middle of the XIX century, locating the station close to the inn, was the reason why it continued being a place of transit very frequented by the travelers. The two-story building has three functional facades, without ornaments, facing San Ignacio, Sagasta (Jardines del Porvenir) and San Alejandro streets, and the inn is structured around two interior courtyards.
The lower part of the building would house the garages, stables and common elements, while the upper part would be used as travelers’ quarters.
Even at the beginning of the 20th century it was still an inn and inn. In 1993 it was rehabilitated, suffering some alterations in its original structure, especially in its interior structure.