PRIORY CHURCH OF SAINT SEBASTIAN MARTYR
It is the oldest building in the city. Its origin goes back to an ancient medieval hermitage dedicated to San Sebastian.
The Catholic Monarchs, founders of Puerto Real, gave it the title of Priory in 1486. Originally of Renaissance basilica plan, with a central nave and two aisles separated by columns of classical order, to which several chapels were added.
The temple has undergone several modifications between the XVI and XX centuries, combining different architectural styles, from the Gothic of some of its vaults to the Neoclassical of the Sacramental Chapel, passing through the Plateresque or Baroque.
The Portada de las Novias, dating from the mid-sixteenth century, is one of the best examples of the Plateresque style in the Diocese of Cadiz, with a semicircular doorway framed by pilasters on pedestals and a relief of the Eternal Father crowning the whole.
Next to it we find a commemorative column dated 1592, the moment of the consecration of the temple. It preserves in its interior an interesting artistic ensemble, such as the Baroque style pulpit, made of marble, jasper and set stones; the Corpus Christi monstrance, an anonymous 17th century Mexican work made of silver filigree and precious stones; paintings such as the oil painting of San José with the Child and San Juanito, a Baroque work by Francisco Meneses Osorio or sculptures by notable authors such as the Roldán family (S. XVII), the Genoese Francesco Maria Maggio, Domenico Giscardi and Antonio Molinari (S. XVIII), Pablo Rosich Serra (S. XIX) or Ramón Chaveli Carreres and Antonio Castillo Lastrucci (S. XX).
On its exterior stands out its robust tower, which for centuries fulfilled both a religious and defensive function, serving as a watchtower and communication with other points of the Bay of Cadiz.